I'm starting a series on this blog entitled: Modified Manufactured. I've decided that maybe now would be a good time to start sharing about this budget remodel I've been referring to. Here's the scoop....my family does live on a tight budget (it's the price we chose to pay so that I could stay home with Boo instead of me going back to work and putting him in daycare) and we were able to get this home because it was a great deal. It's on a beautiful piece of property, but it's an extra long double wide manufactured home from 1980. Yep, it's true. I'm sure you think that I'm crazy, especially since I'm an educated person with a BFA in Visual Art for crying out loud! However, hear me out on this. All the other houses we looked at were in town on tiny lots and the homes often weren't structurally sound, or were in unacceptable neighborhoods. When we decided that this little piece of beautiful property was the way to go and we had a bit of money left over, we thought we would maybe just build a TINY, one room, little square of a house until we could afford to add to it or maybe get an LVL home. Then, we decided that it would be more environmentally-friendly to fix up the existing structure! Especially since the "bones" of the house lent themselves to a modern home perfectly! So, call us crazy, and maybe we are...but maybe, just maybe, we're a little cutting edge. After all, what sent us over the top to do this project was an article in Dwell.:
The article focuses on trailers in parks...which isn't what we have; BUT, the idea of such a drastic transformation hit us so hard that we knew we could do this!
So, time to share a few pictures...are you ready? Oh, but first, we bought this house from friends, but they rented it out, for some time, to a guy that was off his rocker, so I don't think that they'll be upset when I explain how horrible some things were before we started working on the house. And, these pictures are under construction conditions so please keep that in mind.
This first set of pictures is the area we've been focusing on; it's half of the living space. This first picture was from before we moved in. We weren't going to move into a house with nearly 30 year old carpet that the renter let his dog and cat pee on...it was putrid. So, the carpet had to go first. The pile in front of the wood stove is stuff that we already had ripped out.:
And, a closer shot. The interior walls of the house are entirely wood paneling; yes, real wood, but not good quality and SO dark.:
This shot shows that the carpet was ripped out and a layer of oil-based primer sealed the sub-floor.:
When my dad and his friend were here, we tore out the built-in "stuff" around the wood stove and took off the "decorative" brick behind the stove to prepare it for drywall.:
Here's another angle with my dad's friend getting all the pieces off the wall that stuck out too much ("hi Chuck!").:
You can see here we are laying another layer of sub-floor (and in the living space, two layers) throughout the house because the old sub-floor is only a thin layer and, let's face it, it's been peed on. You can see here how big this room is by the size of the woodstove and this is just one quarter of the space! The area in the bottom right is the kitchen (I'll show more before pictures of that, we ripped out a wall that was an L-shape that existed in the lower left.):
Here's a shot of the area drywalled.:
Okay, that's all for now, but there's more about this space to come!
Happy Inaguration Day!