While doing research on how specimens are numbered, I found a great deal of interesting information.
1. The artist Laura Moriarty, "visual art inspired by natural history." More on the decorative end of the spectrum rather than the content-rich (you know, I'm all about content in fine art). However, her work is certainly inspiring!
2. This interesting article on specimen labels, particularly regarding meteorites:
3. Here's how the San Diego Natural History Museum labels and curates fossils:
4. Also, some of my new pieces are palimpsests...they've been changed by sanding and erasing the previous image that wasn't quite right.
5. The word "palimpsest" lead me to this essay titled Erasure in Art: Destruction, Deconstruction, and Palimpsest.
On a completely different note, I've been thinking about making Boo homemade popsicles this summer...then found recipes here and here...and if you think you are going to make a bunch this summer, you can spring for stainless steel molds!